Re: software raid

Alvin Oga said:
>> I like this idea but I need help.
>> A server of mine has just one 20GB drive.
>>
>> I have 2 spare 40GB drives.  How would I make my current install on the
>> 20GB work on the 40GB drives that I want to setup RAID1 on?

You can do it without risk of losing data using just debian stable.
I've spent 3 weeks figuring it out in painful iterative detail.
I will be posting a howto soon.

>From start to finsih I have performed the operation twice.
Installed on a normal partition and converted it to raid.

The second time I did it remotelly via ssh.

Easy once you figure out how to do it....took me a long time to figure out
how the steps.
I am going to document in enough detail so you can do it from start to
finish.

As soon as I got it the first time I fdisked and following my initial
documentation, completed the task again, to verify my documentation was
correct.

I used raid1, lilo, a recompiled debian kernel with raid support, and
mdadm tools to perform it.

It was a nightmare trying to get mkinitrd to make the initrd image with
raid modules in it, I screwed around trying to get it to work for at least
a week. I gave up.
Don't send me any information on how to use initrd with raid, I'm sick of
initrd.img.

I'm rechecking my directions again, and reinstalling for the 3rd
time...from scratch.

--
--Luke CS Sysadmin, Montana State University-Bozeman