Re: QuickTime for Linux?

David wrote:
On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 12:56:21AM -0800, Scarletdown wrote:

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

I tried making an mplayer shortcut on the desktop, but it doesn't work.

Try calling "gmplayer" instead of mplayer in your shortcut.  That's
what's update-menus put in my menu.

That worked, and in the process, I discovered the Add Application Button on the Task Bar (or whatever we call it in KDE) to make a quick launch link. :D

BTW, does it run alright on your system?  I have both stable and testing
installed (separately) on my computer and both segfault.  If I start it
from my menu, it begins to load, a splash screen pops up and vanishes so
quickly that I cannot see what it says.  If I start gmplayer under X, or
mplayer from the console, it reports a segfault.  My hardware is pretty
old - P-166, Waverider ?? soundcard (not made anymore), Number Nine (S3
chip) graphics card, if that matters.  My sound is Alsa - the current
version for the respective systems.

It runs quite well on this system (ASUS A7N8X Deluxe with an Athlon 2500 Barton, 512MB RAM, on-board sound, GeForce 5600FX 256MB video card). I'll give it a try on my testing station later to see if I can get it to run on older hardware. The testing station is a Packard Bell Multimedia C115 with a Pentium-200. 96MB RAM, 4MB S3 video card, and some sort of SoundBlaster sound card.