Re: QuickTime for Linux?

On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 12:56:21AM -0800, Scarletdown wrote:
> Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> >deb http://marillat.free.fr/ stable main
> >
> >they have debs there for all versions.
>
> Thanks.  MPlayer installed fine.  Now I need to figure out how to
> install additional codecs for it.
>
> Also, for some odd reason, the only way I can seem to run mplayer is by
> clicking on the KDE "Start Button" and selecting Run Command, and
> entering mplayer.  I tried making an mplayer shortcut on the desktop,
> but it doesn't work.  Any hints as to what I need to do to get the link
> to work?

Try calling "gmplayer" instead of mplayer in your shortcut.  That's
what's update-menus put in my menu.

BTW, does it run alright on your system?  I have both stable and testing
installed (separately) on my computer and both segfault.  If I start it
from my menu, it begins to load, a splash screen pops up and vanishes so
quickly that I cannot see what it says.  If I start gmplayer under X, or
mplayer from the console, it reports a segfault.  My hardware is pretty
old - P-166, Waverider ?? soundcard (not made anymore), Number Nine (S3
chip) graphics card, if that matters.  My sound is Alsa - the current
version for the respective systems.