Re: how to create an encrypted loop device?

Hello

Toshiro (<toshiro@internet.com.uy>) wrote:

> I'm trying to create an encrypted loop device, but when I try to
> execute
> 'losetup -e blowfish  ~/encripted_file' I get the following error
> (after typing the password):
> ioctl: LOOP_SET_STATUS: invalid argument
>
> Anybody knows why this happens?
>
> Toshiro.
>
> PS: I'm running Debian unstable with all the latest packages, and I
> have both 'loop.o' and 'blowfish.o' loaded.

You also need the cryptoloop module and as far as I know tell losetup
which device to use:

losetup -e blowfish /dev/loop0 ~/encrypted_file

After telling losetup the keysize and password, you can create a
filesystem on /dev/loop0 and mount it. Later, you can mount it directly
without using losetup:

mount ~/encrypted_file /some/dir -o encryption=blowfish,loop

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--
Andreas Janssen