Re: Wish to network my home computers but don't know Jack about it

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 10:37:03 -0700
"Monique Y. Herman" <spam@bounceswoosh.org> wrote:

> Maybe a dense question here, but what type of networking support are
> you looking for?  ftp? ssh/scp? smb?  Will you be providing an
> internal dns server?  What is the connection to your home, and are you
> planning on having all machines connect to the outside world?
>
> Just off the top of my head, I seem to remember that getting win98 and
> win2k/xp working together in an smb world is difficult.

As the subject indicates, I am completely uneducated about networking.
I have a dial up account so will probably not share that, just use at
whichever computer is in use.  I think I am looking for a home LAN(?) to
allow all my family computers to speak to each other/access files from
one another, and print to any of their individual printers.  If it's
possible to have one computer do the dial up and others to use that
connection through the local network, that would be wonderful, but I
don't foresee a 'net connection being used at two or more locations
simultaneously any time soon.
At the same time, I have a daughter in college who will likely come home
and want to have the internet access at the same time as I.  Perhaps I
should look at broadband sharing, too, even though I won't use it yet?
Are the two kinds of network (local and shared internet) available
together in one box?  Can it share dial up?  (Likely danged slow)

I'm starting to feel as if I've not done sufficient googling.

Rusty Smith