Re: soundless in kazaa

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 09:51:59PM -0500, Sam Rosenfeld wrote:
> I installed Debian Woody about 6 months ago and to my knowledge have
> not experienced sound since then, with one exception:  In using either
> isapnptools or ALSA a test responded with a sound.  I have tried from
> time to time to resurrect sound so that I could listen to music CDs on
> my CD-Rom etc. but I haven't been able to.  Some friends have suggested
> that I could use insmod without compiling the kernel, but I
> haven't been able to get insmod to recognize the module.
>
> A few pieces of data:  I'm using Linux 2.2.20, Woody, Ensoniq
> SoundScape Vivo 90 sound card (which I believe the module sscape.o
> supports), an AMD K6-2/400, 196M ram, 6gig hd.  Note:  When compiling
> the new kernel and distro etc, I must have also chosen to download
> binary files, so, of course, have no source files in storage.
>
> I would like to know whether I can reasonably expect to cure my
> soundlessness without compiling the kernel, and, if so, how I can find the
> steps to accomplish that.  And is there some comprehensive source of
> info to set me on the right track to debugging or reconfiguring my
> system to allow sound?
>
> Many thanks to anyone who offers me useful help.
>
> sam

packages.debian.org is down at the moment so I don't know what kernels
are available in stable (woody), I think that these are the same
options.
You don't need to recompile the kernel in order to install alsa. If you
want to build the modules yourself, you will need to configure it
though.
To get the precompiled modules you will need the alsa-modules
package. On unstable seems to only be a version for 2.4.22, so if you
don't have a problem with running 2.4.22 on that computer (you should
probably switch to 2.4.23 when the packages will be available)
you will need alsa-modules-2.4.22-1-k6 and kernel-image-2.4.22-1-k6.
You'll probably also want alsaconf to configure it.
I'm not sure if both of these are needed or just one but you'll
next to do
ln -s /etc/alsa/modutils/0.9 /etc/modprobe.d/alsa
ln -s /etc/alsa/modutils/0.9 /etc/modutils/alsa

and then update modules. Next try /etc/init.d/alsa restart and see if
that works.
If this fails somewhere post the problem and error messages.