soundless in kazaa

I installed Debian Woody about 6 months ago and to my knowledge have
not experienced sound since then, with one exception:  In using either
isapnptools or ALSA a test responded with a sound.  I have tried from
time to time to resurrect sound so that I could listen to music CDs on
my CD-Rom etc. but I haven't been able to.  Some friends have suggested
that I could use insmod without compiling the kernel, but I
haven't been able to get insmod to recognize the module.

A few pieces of data:  I'm using Linux 2.2.20, Woody, Ensoniq
SoundScape Vivo 90 sound card (which I believe the module sscape.o
supports), an AMD K6-2/400, 196M ram, 6gig hd.  Note:  When compiling
the new kernel and distro etc, I must have also chosen to download
binary files, so, of course, have no source files in storage.

I would like to know whether I can reasonably expect to cure my
soundlessness without compiling the kernel, and, if so, how I can find the
steps to accomplish that.  And is there some comprehensive source of
info to set me on the right track to debugging or reconfiguring my
system to allow sound?

Many thanks to anyone who offers me useful help.

sam