Re: Web server Partitions

> hi ya andrew
> raid can break due to:
> 	- (1) disk failures
> 	- the silly system takes forever ( dayz ) to resync itself
> 	- too many disks failures renders the entire raid useless
> 	or the system can be on a non-raided disk and raid5 for data only
> 		- have an 2nd system disk for backup and go live by
> 		simply changing its ip# and hostname
> there is no point to raiding /tmp ...
> 	- if the system dies ... all temp data in /tmp wont matter
>
> 	- swap is already "semi-raided" by the kernel
> 	and if it dies... swap data is generally useless anyway
>
> c ya
> alvin
I was thinking about this idea, so /tmp is on raid. Now temp dies, and you
reboot, and now apache won't start? I've decided to start making my raid
syncs into smaller sizes, so they can resync back faster. I've found that
some volumes just break sync, it's always one disk or partition
consistently pukes out, Why is always the same disk/partition?

I think I will just make a raid 0 partition for temp, as you mentioned, if
the disk dies all the partitions are dead.

Have you noticed any syn speed difference with differnt kernels?
In related news I finally got debian to boot from a software raid
partition as root.
Start to finish..yippee.