gphoto2 and Polaroid PDC700 Camera - How?

Okay. Now that I am up and running with Debian, I need to get my camera configured, so I can resume selling stuff on eBay. My camera is an old Polaroid PDC-700, which connects to a serial port (COM1 in M$ terms, ttys0 in *nix terms).

I took a look at what cameras are supported by gphoto2, and it looks like this camera is allegedly supported. However, when I installed gphoto2 (apt-get install gphoto2*), and then looked at the list of cameras (gphoto2 --list-cameras), the PDC700 did not show up as one of the available types.

So, how do I get gphoto2 to recognize my camera? And then, how can I get GIMP to access the camera as an image source?