Re: Bootlog daemon hanging machine?

On Dec 18, 2003, at 4:29 PM, Bob McElrath wrote:

After upgrading a few packages (that pulled in an unstable init and
sysvinit scripts) my machine hangs on bootup right after the line:
    Starting Bootlog daemon:
which is followed by the "adding swap space" on the same line. (This is
from memory -- the machine won't boot past this point)

The machine is an alpha lx164 with a self-compiled kernel 2.4.21 (this
kernel booted successfully the last several times and is unmodified --
so the problem is likely not the kernel itself).

Barry Hawkins reported something similar on a powerbook on the
debian-powerpc list.  (very different hardware)

Cheers,
Bob McElrath [Univ. of California at Davis, Department of Physics]

Bob,
Hi! Just wanted to give you some additional info on what I ended up with in regards to those symptoms. It turned out that the 1MB L3 cache of a 17" PowerBook is currently unsupported in the benh (which is to say any PowerPC Linux kernel) kernel. My symptoms were done away with by using a command line kernel parameter "nol3" which allowed me to boot. However, booting was not my ultimate goal, and the instabilities introduced by turning that off led me to abandon the use of that laptop for Linux. It's now on eBay 8^). Have you restored the old init and sysvinit? It almost sounds like a call to a kernel module that's low-level enough to cause a hang during boot without any feedback. Best wishes in your search.

Regards,
--
Barry C. Hawkins
All Things Computed