Re: weird xterm crashes

Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
Just recently xterm has started crashing when I view certain emails.
I notice that all of these messages have a non-ascii character (or
more) in them.  Not all non-ascii messages cause a crash, though.
(Interesting, I just tried to read uxterm(1) (with PAGER=less) and
xterm crashes)  This occurs with both the testing and unstable xterms.

If I run xterm from another xterm, I see the following output right
before the crash :

    xterm:  warning, error event received:
    X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
      Major opcode of failed request:  77 (X_ImageText16)
      Value in failed request:  0x0
      Serial number of failed request:  300

That brings up a point: how is one supposed to go from this message to solving a problem. IM I know what it says, but what is next? I get an Fvwm wharf crash sometimes when I Alt+Ctrl+Fx away or to X. Now what? Like this:

X Error of failed request:  BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  62 (X_CopyArea)
  Resource id in failed request:  0x1a00006
  Serial number of failed request:  11431

Who was that?

Hugo.

I haven't changed anything recently, that I know of.  I decided to try
uxterm, since my locale is en_US.UTF-8, and it does not crash.  Why?
I also tried 'xterm -u8' and 'xterm +u8' both of which crash.  I also
have XTerm*utf8:1 in my X resources.  I've been using xterm (not
uxterm) in UTF-8 mode for months now with no problem.

TIA,
-D