Re: Bootlog daemon hanging machine?

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 00:08:42, Bob McElrath wrote:
> Miquel van Smoorenburg [miquels@cistron.nl] wrote:
> > In article <[🔎] 20031218212927.GA4110@mcelrath.org>,
> > Bob McElrath  <bob+debian@mcelrath.org> wrote:
> > >After upgrading a few packages (that pulled in an unstable init and
> > >sysvinit scripts) my machine hangs on bootup right after the line:
> > >    Starting Bootlog daemon:
> > >which is followed by the "adding swap space" on the same line.  (This is
> > >from memory -- the machine won't boot past this point)
> >
> > Bootlogd is not suitable for general use yet, as has now been
> > proven. 2.85-8 will disable bootlogd by default.
>
> Do you know a way I can get init to not load bootlogd so I can repair my
> machine?  Perhaps by passing some kind of arguments to the kernel?

No simple way. You can boot with the "-b" option which tells init not
to execute any script but just put you in a shell, or you can use
"init=/bin/sh" which will cause the kernel to launch a shell instead
of init.

In both cases the rootfs is then read-only, you need to mount it read/write
and then for example mv /etc/init.d/bootlogd /etc/init.d/bootlogd.OFF

Then umount the rootfs again and reboot (reboot -f).

Mike.