Re: GPM for mouse

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 05:05:04PM -0600, James Miller wrote:

| Hey, I just noticed somethin skwerky.  I've got TWO 'Section "InputDevice'
| stanzas in my XF86Config4 - like so:

Ok.

|         Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
|         Option          "Protocol"              "PS/2"
|         Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
|         Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"

| Hows come is that?

Different devices, different protocols.  I'd be willing to be that
you're talking about a laptop with a PS/2 touchpad and a USB scroll
mouse plugged in and that someone else set that up for you.  :-).
Well, at least I don't know how you'd get two sections in use without
someone setting it up for you.  I have two similar sections (except
using /dev/gpmdata for the touchpad) on my laptop at work.

| Will that cause further grief in trying to get gpm going alongside
| X?

Only the fact that X is directly accessing /dev/psaux.  Having two
mice configured in X is irrelevant to gpm, as long as you don't have X
and gpm fighting over the PS/2 port.

| (no "ZAxisMapping" line either, I note)

That probably means you don't have a scroll wheel, or at least it
isn't working, on your USB mouse.

-D

--
If we claim we have not sinned, we make Him out to be a liar and His
Word has no place in our lives.