Re: GPM for mouse

James Miller wrote:

Ok.  This thread has piqued (not to be confused with peaked or peeked) my
interest.  I've just set up a Debian machine and was hoping to use gpm,
since I like to use alot of console apps in virtual terminals.  Having gpm
running was wreaking (not to be confused with reeking) havoc with the
mouse under X - even though I had X trying to read mouse output from
/dev/gpmdata.  The only way I could get the mouse cursor to get back to
normal behavior under X was killall gpm.  So, what was I doing wrong?  I'd
be delighted if I could get gpm to cooperate with the mouse cursor under
X.

Your /etc/gpm.conf file will look something like:

device=/dev/psaux
responsiveness=25
type=imps2
repeat_type=raw

and your /etc/X11/XFConfig-4 file, Input Device section will look something like:
Section "InputDevice"
       Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
       Driver          "mouse"
       Option          "CorePointer"
       Option          "Device"                "/dev/gpmdata"
       Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
EndSection

Notice that gpm needs to repeat the "raw" (not to be confused with a Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader's "rah" or the Egyptian sungod "Ra"), and X needs to read from gpm's repeated data on /dev/gpmdata.

Note also that the protocol (minus formatting) needs to be the same in both places.

That should do (not to be confused with wetness on the grass "dew" or dog droppings on the grass "doo") it.

--
Kent