Re: GPM for mouse

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 05:05:04PM -0600, James Miller wrote:
> |
> | Hey, I just noticed somethin skwerky.  I've got TWO 'Section "InputDevice'
> | stanzas in my XF86Config4 - like so:
>
> Ok.

> |         Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
> |         Option          "Protocol"              "PS/2"
> |         Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
> |         Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
>
> | Hows come is that?
>
> Different devices, different protocols.  I'd be willing to be that
> you're talking about a laptop with a PS/2 touchpad and a USB scroll
> mouse plugged in and that someone else set that up for you.  :-).
> Well, at least I don't know how you'd get two sections in use without
> someone setting it up for you.  I have two similar sections (except
> using /dev/gpmdata for the touchpad) on my laptop at work.

Nope.  That's straight Debian.  I did dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree many
times trying to get the display working, but I hardly touched the
XF86Config-4 file manually (other than altering the mouse line to
/dev/whatever).  This is a brand new install, done just a couple of weeks
ago.  Btw, I finally got gpm and X to play together nicely.  Altering the
first "InputDevice" section from /dev/psaux to /dev/gpmdata wasn't enough.
When that wouldn't work, I went in and altered the second "InputDevice"
section and changed /dev/input/mice to /dev/gpmdata as well.  Only then
did it actually work (I did edit gpm.conf *before* all this as instructed,
btw).  Thanks for the help on this guys.

James