Re: GPM for mouse

Gruessle wrote:

I do have a file called |gpmdata in /dev/ but the size is 0 and
it shows up black in mc plus it has this "|" in front
And last date changed shows just a few min. ago.
Looks like that file got corrupted somehow when I did the change to
XFConfig-4.
How do I get that file fixed?
My X id not working at all anymore until I can fix this.
And why did that happen?
What you're describing sounds normal, as you can see here:

enjae[westk]:/home/westk> ls -l /dev/gpmdata
prw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 Dec 18 08:02 /dev/gpmdata

The "p" means this is a "named pipe", as opposed to a normal file or a directory, etc. mc represents this as the pipe bar "|". It gets changed whenever gpm writes to it. All normal.

In the console (outside of X; get there via Ctrl-Alt-F1 if you're in X), when you move the mouse, do you see a white block cursor follow your movements? If so, does it track properly? If so, then gpm is properly reading the mouse. Configure it to "write" properly the raw data, and then you're ready to focus on X. For the moment, forget about X; get gpm working first.

--
Kent