Re: Install confusion

Hello

Paul Schwartz (<brpms@earthlink.net>) wrote:

> Andreas Janssen wrote:
>
>> Paul Schwartz (<brpms@earthlink.net>) wrote:
>>
>>> After reading about using the F3 key at the initial boot screen from
>>> the Woody CD#1, I decided  to try it.
>>>
>>> At the boot: prompt I typed bf24 and sent the install on its way.
>>> Answered all the questions, made a boot floppy, and rebooted using
>>> said boot floppy.
>>>
>>> Result: the new boot floppy was identical to the original; my kernal
>>> was still 2.2.xx-idepci Why didn't I get the bf24 kernal?
>>
>> Maybe 2.4 is installed on your hard disk, but 2.2.20idepci was used
>> for the boot floppy. What is the name of the kernel image in /boot?
>> It should be vmlinuz-2.4.18-bf2.4. If it is, you can create a new
>> boot floppy using that kernel. You can also choose only to install
>> the boot loader on the floppy disk, but use the kernel from the hard
>> disk, by telling lilo to use /dev/fd0 as the boot device. Or you
>> install the bootloader in your MBR and don't use the floppy at all.
>
> All of the files in /boot are 2.2.20 version, so none of the bf24
> kernel was installed.
>
> What are some of the gotchas that could be causing it to ignore the
> bf24 input to boot:?

Honestly, I don't know. But you still can install a 2.4 Kernel on your
system without reinstalling. Make sure security.debian.org is in your
sources.list, and run

apt-get istall kernel-image-2.4.18-bf2.4
to install the 2.4 installation kernel
apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-1-686
to install the image for pentium II and later systems. There are also
images for 386, 586, k6 and k7 systems. If you don't use the bf kernel,
make sure you tell lilo to use the initrd for the kernel you installed.
Your current kernel will not be removed and can be loaded by selecting
"LinuxOld" from within the lilo startscreen. You maybe want to
uncomment the "#promt" line in your lilo.conf as well.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--
Andreas Janssen