Re: Install confusion

Hello

Paul Schwartz (<brpms@earthlink.net>) wrote:

> After reading about using the F3 key at the initial boot screen from
> the
> Woody CD#1, I decided  to try it.
>
> At the boot: prompt I typed bf24
> and sent the install on its way.  Answered all the questions, made a
> boot floppy, and rebooted using said boot floppy.
>
> Result: the new boot floppy was identical to the original; my kernal
> was still 2.2.xx-idepci
> Why didn't I get the bf24 kernal?

Maybe 2.4 is installed on your hard disk, but 2.2.20idepci was used for
the boot floppy. What is the name of the kernel image in /boot? It
should be vmlinuz-2.4.18-bf2.4. If it is, you can create a new boot
floppy using that kernel. You can also choose only to install the boot
loader on the floppy disk, but use the kernel from the hard disk, by
telling lilo to use /dev/fd0 as the boot device. Or you install the
bootloader in your MBR and don't use the floppy at all.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--
Andreas Janssen