Re: How to know correct hardware options for compiling 2.4.23 kernel

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 05:00:06PM -0600, Jason Norment wrote:
> Debian installed pretty well without a hitch.  (There was a minor sound
> problem, but it was easily remedied.)
> I'm now trying to compile the newest and greatest kernel available
> (that's listed as stable), and I aim to get such features as
> 'automounting' working... (A few other 'wants', such as the capability
> to communicate with my HP calculator -- found that laying in the kernel
> config.) ... and I hope to make it as well optimized as possible.
> Assuming I can get Knoppix up and working, am I correct in thinking that
> a combination of capturing dmesg and the output of lspci should get me
> nearly all of the information that I need to build a well-optimized kernel?

Based greatly on general discussions about optimizing for chips, etc, I
venture a yes to this.  If you were going to use this laptop for
molecular mechanics studies or weather simulations, then you wouldn't
be using this machine... ;-)

But if (as I'm guessing) you're headed towards the best (perceived)
response time for normal stuff, then I think that a careful analysis of

1) what you want module-wise (loadable vs. compiled in),

2) service-wise (daemons taking up memory for no immediate purpose,
forcing swapping as other stuff comes in--define and use run levels
wisely), and

3) what can be done with what I think will be a big bottleneck (the
parallel IDE connection, if that's a reality for you)

...will go a long way, after any work on the kernel.  My guts tell me
memory management and disk i/o will be big concerns (I think they
probably always are).

The gurus are likely chuckling.  I'm quite open to enlightenment!

Cheers,

Kenward
--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,