How to know correct hardware options for compiling 2.4.23 kernel

... I'm noticing that I appear to need to know more specific technical information than I currently have access to for my laptop: Dell Latitude CPI-A 366XT. Can anyone point me to a FAQ that would tell me what kind of chipsets were in the machine (such as FLASH chipsets), or the type of IDE controller that was in use, etc? I've read the online help, which would be most helpful if I knew what was under the hood...

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason