Re: How to know correct hardware options for compiling 2.4.23 kernel

Debian installed pretty well without a hitch. (There was a minor sound problem, but it was easily remedied.) I'm now trying to compile the newest and greatest kernel available (that's listed as stable), and I aim to get such features as 'automounting' working... (A few other 'wants', such as the capability to communicate with my HP calculator -- found that laying in the kernel config.) ... and I hope to make it as well optimized as possible.

I have a version of Knoppix that works with the laptop (though the last version that I used didn't get all the way into the boot before it caved and

No luck googling. There is actually so little on this particular laptop that I've read the same page 5 different times over about 3 years during my various stages of breaking my mind into Debian.

Assuming I can get Knoppix up and working, am I correct in thinking that a combination of capturing dmesg and the output of lspci should get me nearly all of the information that I need to build a well-optimized kernel?