Re: BIND can't find root nameservers

John Holland said on Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 10:23:08AM -0500:
> I have a recurring problem on a Debian machine that is running named.
> The bind program becomes unable to get the address of the root
> nameservers and fills up /var/log/daemonlog,/var/log/syslog with
> messages to that effect.
>
> sysquery: no addrs found for root NS (M.ROOT-SERVERS.NET)
>
>  This causes the /var partition to completely fill up, which
>  then causes various problems (no mail, no printing, and now I see
>  also that it stops named from working).
>
>  Can I configure the logging options somehow to limit the retained logs?
>
>  Or better yet solve the named "no addrs found" problem?
>
>  Any help would be appreciated.

How old is your root nameserver cache?  I think the Debian package puts it in
/etc/bind/db.root, but you can find out by looking for the zone of type "hint"
in your named.conf.

You can get the current values for that file by running

$ dig @a.root-servers.net . ns > /tmp/db.root

If /tmp/db.root is different than the one that you currently have, you might
want to try using the new one.