Re: BIND can't find root nameservers

On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 10:23:08AM -0500, John Holland wrote:
> I have a recurring problem on a Debian machine that is running named.
> The bind program becomes unable to get the address of the root
> nameservers and fills up /var/log/daemonlog,/var/log/syslog with
> messages to that effect.
>
> sysquery: no addrs found for root NS (M.ROOT-SERVERS.NET)

I got hit by this earlier this week.  My current working theory
is that it has something to do with a bug in BIND, but I can't be
sure.

My fix included adding a "forward only;" statement in the global
"options {};" stanza following my "forwarders { ... };"
statement.  However, I suspect that this is only masking the
problem.

It took me about twelve hours to figure that out.  Total waste of
my employers time, and not a particularly positive commentary on
my troubleshooting abilities! :-)

For more details see the following url:

	http://www.whatever.ca/blog/2003/12/9/dns-hell/

--