Spamassassin on Debian HOWTO?

A couple of web searches don't find a simple step-by-step guide to
installing Spamassassin on Debian Stable.  I'm unwilling to
experiment without some guidance because I don't have a "spare"
server, only a production system running Sendmail.

Most guides that I've seen refer to using Procmail for the delivery
step.  My server forwards 100% of mail received to other servers for
final delivery.  (I haven't set up any POP/IMAP mailboxes on it.)
Can Procmail be skipped?
--
Carl Fink             carl@fink.to
Jabootu's Minister of Proofreading