Re: Next On The Checklist - VNC

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 15:04:23 -0800,
"Scarletdown" <gsutton9503@charter.net> wrote in message
<[🔎] 3FDC7BF7.31950.2A173C1@localhost>:

> On 14 Dec 2003 at 11:28, Deryk Barker wrote:
>
> > Thus spake Scarletdown (gsutton9503@charter.net):
> >
> > You need to run vncserver as that user.
> >

> > > 2:  The VNC session always gives me the KDE desktop.  However, I
> > > would like to run other desktops as well (GNOME in particular).
> > > Is there any way to state which Window Manager gets used each VNC
> > > session?
> >
> > Checkout the xstartup script in the .vnc directory
> >

> > > 3:  My VNC desktop always comes up at 640x480.  How do I get it to
> > > come up at a higher resolution?  When logged into an X-Session
> > > directly at the console, I have 800x600 as my resolution, and my
> > > Windows system is set for 1024x768.
> >
> > vncserver -geometry 1024x768
> >

> Okay now.  So far, I've managed to finally get a non-root KDE desktop
> set to 800x600 - 32 Bit depth.  I did indeed have to log in as a
> normal user and then start the vncserver with
>
> vncserver geometry 800x600 depth 32
>
> So I am making some headway on this project.  Now, here is what I am
> ultimately shooting for.
>
> 1:  Have vncserver load automatically at boot time with the above
> parameters.  (800x600 is plenty suitable for my needs here) I do not
> want to have to ssh in to the system first to start the server

..you could do this the same way X is started, check in /etc/init.d/ .

..but, I don't understand why you prefer vnc over X?  Or Xnest?
If security is an issue like on internet, wrap it in a ssh pipe, works
for vnc too, and X sessions usually use port 6000-n-up, and I believe
this is useable even from M$IE, or is there a full M$ boycott on X?

..note that X is deaf in Debian, Knoppix etc, this is set with the
"nolisten" option, you _may_ wanna comment out those, if you
do, watch out on your firewalling.  ;-)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: