Re: Copy all desktop settings for a new user

On Sunday 14 December 2003 08:49 am, Philipp Schulte wrote:
> Nunya wrote:
> > I do it for these files:
> >
> > desk:/mnt/apt/inst/dotfiles# ls
> > dot.fetchmailrc  dot.gnome           dot.gtkrc-1.2-gnome2
> > dot.procmailrc    dot.xsession
> > dot.fluxbox      dot.gnome2          dot.gtkrc-2.0         dot.profile
> > dot.gbuffyrc     dot.gnome2_private  dot.kde               dot.qt
> > dot.gconf        dot.grun_history    dot.kderc             dot.xmms
> > dot.gconfd       dot.gtkrc           dot.muttrc
> > dot.xscreensaver
>
> I don't get it. You are talking about copying the files. This of
> course is not a problem, but what do you do if you have to change the
> content of hundreds of files for each user?

Something like this (this is tcsh syntax, so sue me):

set newuser =
set olduser =
foreach file (  dotfiles/* )
   cat $file | sed "s/$olduser/$newuser/g" > /home/$newuser/$file
end

Untested, of course, but that ought to give you the idea.

man sed
man tcsh

Cheers,
Terry