Re: My Debian box can't connect Internet

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your advice.

- snip -

Before starting test as per your advice, following discoveries were
found

1) # pppoe
pppoe: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
(pppoe  could not start.   It can be started at time of configuring
network card after installation of Debian 3.0)

2) /etc/resolv.conf  could not be edited even as ROOT (the file can be
opened and its content can be edited.  But saving is impossible)

# cat /etc/resolv.conf
search domain.com\000
nameserver 192.168.2.1

# ls -l /etc/resolv.conf
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root

> I told pppoeconf that I didn't want to start the network at boot. To start it anytime: Open an xterm, su to root. Then try this:
>
>   pon dsl-provider
>
> You can use the "plog" command to see what effect this had, or "ifconfig ppp0"

Debian box already automatically connects to ISP after booting
(remark: dynamic IP)

# ifconfig ppp0
ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
          inet addr:202.123.68.108  P-t-P:202.123.71.254
Mask:255.255.255.255
          UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1492  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:10
          RX bytes:10109 (9.8 KiB)  TX bytes:1932 (1.8 KiB)

> Similarly to kill the connection:
>
>   poff dsl-provider

# poff 202.123.68.108
/usr/bin/poff: I could not find a pppd process for provider
'202.123.68.108'. None stopped.

B.R.
Stephen