Re: Linux is not for consumers!

David Palmer. wrote:

Or the assumption by the more experienced, who know that that your problem was far enough advanced that if you skipped the "basics" like filesystem manipulation you'd better be ready to fire up "man chown" yourself and back up and ask THAT question first? :-)

Sorry, Nate, this doesn't apply.
There is no set routine to what you learn first in Debian, or any other
branch of Linux.
File system manipulation? I wouldn't know the first thing about it.
I don't want Nautilus or Konqueror, that sort of GUI system is too much
like windows, and not what I came here for.
How is a newbie supposed to know what to learn first? There's no
discernable learning structure.

Heh, now my bias is showing, that's an interesting point you make.

I have taken numerous computer courses over the years, all the way back to programming classes in the mid-80's and they always start with what I would call "the basics"... how to get around the system, where things are located, how to manipulate files, etc... THEN they show you how to get applications going. Notice that many of the books you're reading also tend to follow this path too.

It's kinda funny to realize that many people learn this stuff second. I can't imagine how hard it would be to learn in that order, seems VERY difficult to me. It'd be like being plopped in a car already doing 70 MPH on a busy freeway to be taught to learn how to drive. I'd think that learning where all the controls are, then learning how to start the vehicle, etc... FIRST would be more helpful in the long run. :-)

I understand now better where you're coming from, though.  Very interesting.

Have a nice weekend, I learned something from this discussion this week, and that's very good! :-)

Nate, nate@natetech.com