Re: Linux is not for consumers!

See bottom post in re. top-post.

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 12:07:23PM -0600, Michael Martinell wrote:
> That's why the people doing the documentation should be the power-user who
> is not familiar with every intricate detail, and has had to struggle and
> learn the system.  That is the person who can usually explain things in a
> matter that does not bore the general populace to tears.  After all, if
> you're talking about getting a typical, home-user, windows-user to use
> Linux, you had better be talking at a "For Dummies" level.  Which isn't
> anything against the windows person, it's just that Linux is allot more in
> touch with the hardware side than most users would want to be.

Documenting software is like writing a good text book. The author must get
in touch with his "inner Dummy" and speak to his needs. Some geeks have this
ability, but many do not. The commercial "For Dummies" book style is not
particularly good, IMHO. I prefer O'Reilly books.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@peakpeak.com