Re: Linux is not for consumers!

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 15:21:01 -0700
Nate Duehr <nate@natetech.com> wrote:

> David Palmer. wrote:
>
> > If you request help, terminologies like 'chown' and chmode' or
> > somesuch are thrown at you without any effort toward fuller
> > explanation, and it goes further than assumption through long
> > familiarity, there is some sort of supercilious ego factor involved
> > also.
>
> Or the assumption by the more experienced, who know that that your
> problem was far enough advanced that if you skipped the "basics" like
> filesystem manipulation you'd better be ready to fire up "man chown"
> yourself and back up and ask THAT question first?  :-)

Sorry, Nate, this doesn't apply.
There is no set routine to what you learn first in Debian, or any other
branch of Linux.
File system manipulation? I wouldn't know the first thing about it.
I don't want Nautilus or Konqueror, that sort of GUI system is too much
like windows, and not what I came here for.
How is a newbie supposed to know what to learn first? There's no
discernable learning structure.

It's to the point now, where I just lurk on the lists, because after a
previous learning process with hardware, I know that terminologies,
given time, will sink in, or you catch up with them in the learning
process, and you place them into context.
Ocassionally there will be a bit of interaction of this nature, but
generally now the only time I speak up, is when another newbie arrives
on the list and asks for something I know about. I've just done that for
someone who needed to know about 64Bit SMP. But that's it. Which is
crazy, because I take knowledge in like a sponge, and I should already
be in a position to provide a higher level of feedback than I do.

The fastest learning track I have found with Debian, is books.
I've bought the Debian/GNULinux Bible by Steve Hunger which has a potato
disc in the back of it, which I am going to install on a couple of old
486 desktops, one for a mail server, and the other for a standalone
firewall (Bastille), and then upgrade them.
I've also just got hold of Rod Smiths' 'Linux Powertools,' with a quick
read through, that looks very useful, I've got a couple of others on the
way as well, among them is 'Rute Guide and Exposition', but as far as
the learning process goes, the list is a very minor part of it all.
Regards,

David.