Re: a modest proposal (was: Linux is not for consumers!)

On 11. December 2003 at 5:28PM -0600,
Lucas Bergman <lucas@fivesight.com> wrote:

> Richard Kimber <rkimber@ntlworld.com> writes:

[...]

> > This may be true of some; but even reasonably intelligent
> > users with quite a lot of experience can come unstuck in
> > those areas with which they are not familiar, simply because
> > the documentation is often so poor.
>
> I have an idea, then, for people at the level you're speaking
> of.  Specifically, I'm talking about people between hacker
> level and Aunt Tilley, those who can use Debian but frequently
> struggle with the lack of documentation.

Aunt Tilley probably doesn't want documentation but help files.
I consider a man page or info doc that documents all possible
--options as good documentation already (although I can recall
one recent instance where I had trouble finding the right man
page: the documentation I was looking for was in man Z rather
than man X!).

But there are users who would think anything short of tooltips or
balloon help is poor documentation.  Should they be the consumers
of a documentation project?

[...]