Re: Linux is not for consumers!

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 15:58:25 -0700
"s. keeling" <keeling@spots.ab.ca> wrote:

> > > Programmers need no excuse for this.  They know how it works.  If
> > > you think it needs documentation, go ahead and write it.
> >
> > Aren't you missing the point that you need to understand it before you
> > can document it, and that in many cases understanding does not come
> > without documentation.
>
> If you need to understand it to use it, you've got the source.  What
> more could you need?  That's not good enough?  Don't use it.  You

Well that just makes the point in the subject.  Consumers aren't going to
learn C, gtk+, or whatever, just to run their apps.

> think it would be better with good documentation?  Great.  Go write
> some.  Oh, you want me to write some?  Why?  I don't think it needs
> it since I have no trouble using it.
>
> > Obligation?  What about a sense of pride in having done something
> > well?
>
> He did do it well!  It works!  Oh, "well" for you means fully
> documented so Aunt Tilley can use it?

Consumers.  That was the point of the discussion.

> I'm beginning to question whether you know what Linux is at all.

I thought the thread was not about what Linux is, but whether it was
suitable for consumers. It seems that you agree with me that it isn't.

- Richard