Re: Linux is not for consumers!

Richard Kimber wrote:
On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 14:15:24 -0700
"s. keeling" <keeling@spots.ab.ca> wrote:
This sounds like an excuse for programmers not to document their
programs.

Programmers need no excuse for this.  They know how it works.  If you
think it needs documentation, go ahead and write it.
If you're a developer, your attitude perhaps goes some way to explain why
Linux is not for consumers.

  perspective!

IMO it's good that they do at least something, criticizing them for not doing enough doesn't make much sense - would you be better off if the not-so-well documented program wouldn't exist at all? if you think so just ignore the program:-)

IMO it makes sense to be happy if there is a program you need and even more happy if it is well documented. As opposed to simply being unhappy that there is a program without docs which is the feeling I get from your post.

and about linux being for consumers or not: it is getting there, fairly fast, from what I can tell. If you have a preinstalled system you are almost at the same level of general-consumer-ready-ness as windows (some distros being closer)

also, while it is goal for some part of the community for linux to become more widespread it is not (and I don't see why should it be) neccessarily goal of everybody (of every contributor). so I don't think it makes sense to criticize contributors for contributing something you don't want (or don't know how to use).

	erik