Re: pon does nothing when run by users

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 02:18:43PM -0500, David Morse wrote:
> John Hasler wrote:
> >>All my users are in groups dip and dialout.  They've relogged in.  Now
> >>when
> >>users run "pon demand-wvdial"...
> >
> >                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> I named my ppp connection /etc/ppp/peers/demand-wvdial, because ppp
> calls "wvdial --chat" to negotiate the login, and because its
> theoretically an on-demand ppp connection.  I'm starting to notice that
> everyone else just calls theirs "provider"...
>

> >Explain, please.
> >

> >>Similarly, when poff is run as user, and pon had been called previously
> >>by root, it complains thusly: /usr/bin/poff: /bin/kill failed. None
> >>stopped.
> >

> >This is normal.
>
> Bummer, so when root starts up ppp0 at boot time, there's no way for the
> user to shut it down.  Guess we won't be using /etc/init.d/ppp anymore.

Look at the diald package. It provides a demon that dials out whenever
the connection is down and someone trys to access the internet. If you
like it, be sure to follow the Debian instructions and ignore other
instructions that are available on the web. The Debian maintainer has
created install scripts that eliminate all of the problems that others
suffer with in installing this software.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@peakpeak.com