Bootup Freezes

For the past few weeks my system frequently freezes or starts in (none) tty1 on bootup. The freezes come at different points in the bootup sequence. When this happens I can recover by booting up with bbc-2.1 from a cd, running e2fsck -f on each partition (occasionally inodes are incorrect, often no problems are found) and then rebooting from the hard drive. When the system is rebooted in this way there are no problems in running any of the programs I use. I have been unable to pinpoint the source of this bootup problem.

The system is testing and the kernel is 2.4.22 compiled with the /mm/mmap.c patch. I regularly run apt-get dist-upgrade.

memtest is installed, finds no problems with memory.
smartmontools is installed, the long test finds no problems with the hard drive.
clamscan run recursively from / finds no viruses
chkrootkit finds nothing

I believe the problem started when I compiled kernel-source-0.6.0-test9 and used this kernel to take advantage of the usb 2 speed of a usb dvd burner. This worked fine but with no wireless lan access. In an attempt to solve this I downloaded and compiled linux-wlan-ng-0.2.1-pre10 but still had no wireless access.

The one consistant symptom  is the message

p80211knetdev_hard_start-xinit: Tx attempt prior to association, frame dropped

which is repeated many times during the shutdown proceedure frequently interrupting the normal sequence of shutdown messages. Apparently some record is stored that affects the next bootup attempt.

I have attempted to correct this by recompiling the 2.4.22 kernel after first running mrproper and by then using apt-get install to get the debian version of linux-wlan-ng-0.2.0 and reconfiguring and installing this program again after first running make mrproper. This has not solved the problem.

I would greatly appreciate any insights as to what to try next or any observations about things I have done wrong or failed to do.

Tom George