Re: Linux is not for consumers!

David Baron wrote:
Problems persist and have gotten nowhere!

1. Connecting ADSL -- edited everything including ppp_on_boot, dsl_provider,
pap_secrets, all that stuff. No go. Running "pon ppp_on_boot" gives me a bad
tdb and quits. The only tdb reference is from Openoffice so is irrelevant
here. (All of the little utilities for adding "connections" assume dialups.
Windows has a virtual VPN adapter to handle that--says it's dialing but it
ain't.)

Not sure why you are using PPP.  DSL either uses PPPoE or PPPoA.

I am using an Alcatal speedtouch-home modem connected to a T100 card which
is correctly detected and configured. Can ping the modem 10.0.0.138 and the
computer 10.200.1.1. I can even get into the modem's own configuration page
(use at your own risk as we have said!).

If the modem has an accessible configuration page, then just use that.
Most DSL modems let you enable/disable NAT, DHCP, DNS, and manage your
connection.  Call your ISP's tech support and they should be able
to help you.  Even my ISP's tech support (mostly clueless and
unsupportive of Linux) was able to get me set up with the modem's
config in a few minutes.  It has worked flawlessly for 8 months.

2. Running Java stuff--Open office works. I installed netbeans (a Java
programming IDE) but cannot get it to run.

Make sure that you have a JRE compiled with the correct version of
gcc (2.95 for Woody, 3.x for Sarge and Sid).  Your NetBeans problem
must be related to Java, because I just started using it a couple
of days ago.  I siwply untarred it, ran it, and everything worked.

3. The Adobe Acrobat reader looks gosh-awful. Like Windows 2! I have a
version 5.08 linux distribution--maybe this will look better?

The reason Acrobat "looks "ugly" to you is because it uses X11, the most
basic GUI protocol available for Unix and Unix-like systems.  If you
any sort of graphical environment installed in Linux, it will be run
on X11 (at some fundamental level, there are higher-level toolkits like
Qt, Motif, GTK and others).  If you don't like the look and feel, just
email Adobe and tell thew you want a version available for your favorite
toolkit.  If enough people express an interest, they will probaly do it.

Of course there are many alternatives to Acrobat Reader: xpdf, gdpf, gv,
ggv.  There are probably others that I have missed.

4. Oldie-but-goody hardware which I really would like to use:

sw60xg MIDI sound generator--no IRQ, no DMA, just a port address. This card
should be accessable from MPU401 (done this way under W2K). That driver is
there but I havent the foggiest on how to get it running and set it up. I
would then like to control it through a WINE session (lot's of luck!).

I don't know anything about MIDI hardware, but I am almost positive
that WINE does not allow that level of hardware control.

USB -- have a roland MIDI device on this, correctly detected but not shown
on KINFO. This is of recent vintage and there should be some way of using
it. I also need some sort of "hot-plug" support for a development project on
which I am working, also in various windows flavors.

dman2044 audio interface -- PCI, IRQ11--the linux detects that as an AGOSP
Maestro card. There are no linux or even modern windows (W2K, XP) drivers
around for this--have to do my production work in Win98. I have an old
pro-audio16 clunker, an ISA card but I think Linux will support that one for
listening to MP3s or CDs (I havent even tried them yet!).

Davicom32 Fax modem -- ISA, detected. Fairly standard and NOT a "win" modem
(these have never worked on this computer for whatever reason). Haven't the
foggiest how to set up KFax or anything else to use this modem. IRQ5, I
believe, sitting on COM3. Suppose I could try talking to it through KPPP.

Make sure you have isapnptools (I think) and ISA support in your kernel.

I would like to go over to Linux for everything except music production
(since there is no appropriate software yet).

I call BS on this (the no appropriate software thing).  There must be
appropriate sortware because there are plenty of music/movie studios
using Linux now.

-Roberto