Re: nagios

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 02:50:53PM -0000, Lee, Keith wrote:
> I have setup everything for just a ping to a wireless connection only
> (I think) The configuration passes the sanity test.
>
> The log file says that nagios has started and gives a pid.
>
> when I use ps -A the pid is not there.

In addition to what Karsten suggested, try running "nagios -v
/etc/nagios/nagios.cfg"

> Any suggestions for alternate monitors?
> My managers request is:
> "I'm looking for is SNMP monitoring as well as PINGing, plus nice graphs."

A good list of monitoring and trending tools can be found at:

  http://www.rrdtool.com/rrdworld/index.html

Nagios has suited my needs for monitoring a couple services so I have
explored any other tools.

As for trending analysis tools, I've used smokeping and cricket.  If you
only want to track latency and network connectivity, smokeping is great.
It is simple, easy to setup, and the graphs are nice.  Examples of
smokeping can be found from the link above. If you would like to gather
and report on data from a variety of sources, give cricket a try.
Cricket allows for you to easily setup lots of similar devices and
collect data from SNMP, files, and executables.  If you would like to
view some cricket sites follow:

  http://www.google.com/search?q=allinurl:cricket/grapher.cgi

--
All true wisdom is found on T-shirts.