Re: Can't connect with my new ADSL

On 11 Dec 2003, Antony Gelberg wrote:

> [...]
Will do.

> Infact, after re-reading what "technical support" told you, it's a load of
> crap.  If the router's default address is 10.0.0.2, then _that_ should be
> your gateway and your PC should be something else (say 10.0.0.10).  But
> anyway, forget the above, concentrate on /etc/network/interfaces.  DHCP
> means not needing to worry about IP addresses as much.

> PS Having seen your website, my "fee" for this advice would be your
> recommendation on the best way to help my neck, shoulders, and back, which
> are usually stiff and in pain from years of bad PC posture.  I've had
> physio, but it only treats the symptoms.  Is Pilates any good?  <grin>

Many thanks to you and Brian for your comments. After reflecting on
these and a night's sleep I think I've finally understood what is at
issue here. Up to now I was thinking in terms of setting up a normal
modem, e.g. via pppconfig. I now think instead that the aim is to get
the LAN to work and then direct a browser to 10.0.0.2 (the correct
address according to the manual). Is this broadly correct?

Matters have not been helped by the manual, which I thought was
difficult owing to being too technical. I've now realized that much of
the difficulty is due to its being written by someone (Chinese?) with a
reasonable but imperfect command of English.

PS. (OT) As for your neck and shoulders: I don't know much about Pilates
though it's very fashionable at present. Physical treatments such as
acupuncture or manipulation can help for a time but the pain will keep
recurring as long as you spend many hours at the keyboard advising
ignorant people like me :) . I think the only viable solution is what
you don't want to hear: to get out more and take more exercise (swimming
can be good, preferably on your back). Also, while working at the
keyboard you should shrug your shoulders and move your head through a
full range in both planes (but don't swing it in circles). Do this
*before* the pain occurs - perhaps every 20 or 30 min. (Make the
computer send you a reminder.)

The following exercise could also help if done twice daily: find a
suitable doorway, place your hands on each side of the gap, and move
your chest forward through the doorway. The idea is to stretch the
pectoral muscles on the front of the chest, which oddly enough can
relieve neck pain.

Anthony

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  for book reviews, electronic