Re: I2C support

"Jeffrey L. Taylor" <jeff@austinblues.dyndns.org> writes:

> Quoting David Z Maze <dmaze@debian.org>:
>> "Jeffrey L. Taylor" <jeff@austinblues.dyndns.org> writes:
>>
>> > Is the I2C support only in 2.4.x?  I would like to use the
>> > lm-sensors package.
>>
>> The packages in Debian claim to support kernel 2.4 and not kernel
>> 2.6.
>
> I was thinking about 2.2, not 2.6.

i2c-2.8.1's README says that it only supports kernel 2.4.9 and newer.
i2c-2.6.5's README (which is the version in stable) doesn't contain
this admonition; lm-sensors-2.6.5's README says that it requires
kernel 2.2.0 and i2c-2.6.1 (or kernel 2.4.13).

> I mistakenly booted from CD 1 and ended up with a 2.2 kernel.
> (Actually, IIRC this was a network install).  The box in question is
> a key server and I'd rather not have to monkey with installing a
> completely different kernel.

You can get an updated 2.4.18 kernel fairly painlessly via APT;
searching aptitude's package list for "2.4.18" should help you find
it.  There still aren't prebuilt kernel modules, though; if you get
the Debian kernel source for whichever kernel you have installed
(maybe just the -headers package is sufficient) you can probably build
modules from the {i2c,lm-sensors}-source packages.  This doesn't
appear to be a terribly well-documented process, alas.

	-- Abra Mitchell