Chroot install (was Re: making a floppy for essential modules)

on Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 11:31:16AM -0800, New Disorder Records (ernst@hblindustries.com) wrote:
>  On Tue, 9 Dec 2003,
> Michael Martinell wrote:

> > On Tuesday, December 09, 2003, New Disorder Records
> > [mailto:ernst@hblindustries.com] wrote:
> > >
> > > I am trying to install debian on a dell poweredge, but I need
> > > drivers for the hard drives and ethernet card.  I have found the
> > > drivers, but I have no idea how to put them on a floppy disk so
> > > that debian will see them when I put the floppy in.  I don't have
> > > other debian machines in the office, so I have to make the
> > > floppies on a windows machine.  Any advice about how to put the
> > > drivers on a floppy so that debian will see them would be greatly
> > > appreciated.
>
> > Here is how I set up my Dell
> > Set up Debian 3.0r1 on Dell Poweredge 2400
> >
> > 1.	Insert Debian disk and boot from it.
> > 2.	At boot: prompt type bf24 and press enter.
> > 3.	Complete rest of install normally.  Make sure to install the c

<...>

> thanks, but I can't install normally if I can't see the hard drive.
> The installer (any one of the flavors of installer, including bf24)
> doesn't see the harddrive on my 1750, so I need to install a driver at
> that point, I assume, in order to continue the installation.
>
> So, I can make it to step 2 of your steps, but not step 3.  I have a
> driver, I just need to know how to make a disk that the installer will
> recognize to load it.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

For clarity and to support conversational discussion style, please use
bottom-posting format:  your reply goes below the material cited.  Trim
your quotes appropriately and ensure your attributions are accurate.

See:

    http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/email-style.html
    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html
    http://mailformat.dan.info/quoting/top-posting.html

Thank you.

My recommendation in cases such as this is to utilize a chroot install.
There are instructions in the standard Debian Installation Manual, or my
own (slightly divergent) instructions at:

    http://twiki.iwethey.org/Main/DebianChrootInstall

The secret to a chroot is that you first boot a GNU/Linux system on your
hardware that _does_ support the core system:  console, disks, network.
Then you initiate a Debian installation within this environment as a
chroot (change root) process.  It's not terribly different from a stock
Debian installation, but it's far more flexible.

Choices for a booted system include Knoppix, Morphix, DemoLinux,
LNX-BBC, tomsrtbt, and other bootable GNU/Linux distributions (that is:
bootable on removeable media), _or_ a previously installed GNU/Linux
system.

Peace.

    tried it.
    - Donald Knuth