Re: Kernel 2.4.23

on Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 06:48:01AM -0800, Michael Montagne (michael@themontagnes.com) wrote:

> I'm a little new at this.  I want to upgrade my kernel from my
> Libranet 2.4.21.
>
> I have a RAID controller (IDE) that appears as a SCSI device for some
> reason.

RAID controllers frequently do.  The disks themselves are IDE/ATA.
However the interface between the controller and the motherboard is
SCSI.

> So I need to use initrd to boot (correct?).  At least that's
> the way Libranet set it up for me.

Either initrd or compiled-in support for your RAID card.

> That means that I can't use a pristine kernel, I need the
> cramfs/initrd patch.  I got a kernel panic when trying the pristine
> kernel.
>
> Since I can't find that anywhere perhaps I should use the Debian
> kernel.  I found that at backports.org.  I guess it would be ok even
> thought I'm not running a "stable" system.  There is a source and a
> .deb that looks already compiled.  Since I want to save my settings
> from before, I need to use the source (correct?).  Are my assumptions
> even close to reality?

Herbert Xu (Debian kernel packages maintainer) has posted prerelease,
unofficial, 2.4.23 debs to:

    http://master.debian.org/~herbert/sid/

Peace.

   NPR:  Radio for between the ears:  http://www.npr.org/