Re: make-kpkg

Michael Montagne <michael@themontagnes.com> writes:

> I use Grub as a bootloader.  After making a kernel .deb using
> make-kpkg, I'm running dpkg -i....  Near the end you are asked to if
> you want to make a boot block.  What is this?  Is it just an entry in
> Grub or LILO?  What I'm most concerned about is being able to boot to
> my old kernel if I screwed this one up.

I think that's specifically a hook to LILO; I always say "no", and if
you're using GRUB, you don't need to reinstall the boot block when you
update kernels.  You might leave an entry in /boot/grub/grub.conf that
boots 'kernel /vmlinuz' and 'initrd /initrd.img', and a second one
that does /vmlinuz.old and /initrd.img.old; that way you should, in
principle, always be able to boot your current and previous kernels
without ever touching your GRUB configuration.

	-- Abra Mitchell