Re: make-kpkg

Michael Montagne wrote:
I use Grub as a bootloader.  After making a kernel .deb using
make-kpkg, I'm running dpkg -i....  Near the end you are asked to if
you want to make a boot block.  What is this?  Is it just an entry in
Grub or LILO?  What I'm most concerned about is being able to boot to
my old kernel if I screwed this one up.

It actually runs lilo by default. Lilo will install a boot block. Or if lilo fails the package that you tried to install ( the <kernel image>.deb) will remain half-installed and apt-get or dpkg will complain until you fix it, by fixing the /etc/lilo.conf file or its dependencies, like other partitions to be mounted.

From man make-kpkg:

"On installation, it also offers to run the Linux loader, LILO (or alternates like loadlin, SILO, QUIK, VMELILO, ZIPL, yaboot, PALO or GRUB), creating a configuration file for supported boot loaders
if needed."

From man kernel-img.conf:

"postinst_hook
Set this variable to a script to be executed during installation after all the symbolic links are created, but before running the bootloader or offering to create a floppy. This script shall be called with two arguments, the first being the version of the kernel image, and the second argument being the location of the kernel image itself. Errors in the script shall produce a warning message, but shall be otherwise ignored. An example script for grub users is present in /usr/share/doc/kernel-package/ directory."

So in your case you should follow the advice in the last sentence.

I believe that applicable, though somewhat brusque, phrase is RTFM. That is why Debian is a *super* system. ;-)

Hugo.