In my defense! (was: Getting rid of MS XP)

Roberto Sanchez wrote:
Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
[SNIP]

Goodbye XP. Box is pure Debian now (7 partitions with various flavors of Debian, overdoing it really ;-) )

Hugo.

Congrats.  And yes, 7 flavours of Debian on one machine is overkill :-)

-Roberto

This brings up a favorite topic, that I frankly do not see discussed (because it is spurious? because I missed it? ;-0 ), namely:

What is a *good* sysadmin database that records all actions and reasons of the admin, with roadmap? I use notebooks, files, html, (example attached)

All to no avail!

As you will notice: it lacks a *roadmap*! And it is hard to figure it out in hindsight, but all partitions had a good reason.

1. (No flames, please) The overriding meta-reason is Debian's unique ability to super fine-tune a system.

2. And my (personal) observation that all (my?) systems grow with hard-to-discover reasons and lose the original fine-tune, regardless of my records that I keep. So I start again from where I was or with a new idea (like *Backstreet Ruby*).

3. And my (personal) desire not to burn bridges behind me (Debian-wise: XP is going).

*That* is the origin of the maze (no offense David! ;-) ).

Good example: I have gone various times to Woody from rescue+root diskettes. Left it for testing (or unstable? Who knows!) because of lack of libxft2 for Mozilla (but did I know of the backport now avail? Who knows!) But never from Woody CD's (I have the Potato CD's - used them too, for what? Who knows!) So now I am belatedly (because the new ISP allows me to stay up for more than 8 hrs and wvdial redial somehow did not restart wget - but what did I really try? Who knows!) I am downloading the Woody CD's to try a Woody system that only does the security updates. Why? It avoids the dist-upgrade hassle of sid/sarge and also the apt-get install process and uses the CD's only *with* Backstreet Ruby. It will be a "Woody Fine-Tune".

Anyway. That's about the defense. :-)

Hugo.

Title: Debian Sarge HDB6 with Backstreet Ruby!

Debian Sarge HDB6(11/07/03) with Backstreet Ruby!

Hugo Ma. Vanwoerkom V.

Diarium Spirituale

System Partition Index

Partition

Contents Origin Reason

hda1

XP CD To be scratched
hda5 FAT . various tars
hda6 Kernel 2.4.21 with Backstreet Ruby Woody CD From Sid 3/23/2003 to Sarge until 9/26 Ruby
hda7 Swap . .
hda8 Kernel 2.2.20 scratch(?) From Woody 1/17/2002 to Sid 3/23/2003
hdb1 Knoppix 3.2 Remastered . Knoppix
hdb5 FAT . FAT copy of old 6GB disk
hdb6 Kernel 2.4.22 with Backstreet Ruby w.o /home + /root scratch Current
hdb7 Kernel 2.6.0 with Backstreet Ruby Sarge CD Trying 2.6.0
hdb8 Storage for partimages . Storage
hdb9 Kernel 2.4.22 with Backstreet Ruby w.o /home + /root Sarge CD Orig 2.4.22 Ruby
hdb10 Kernel 2.4.22 with Backstreet Ruby w.o /home + /root Sarge CD Remaster 2.4.22 Ruby
hdb11 /home . home
hdb12 /root . root
hdb13 Kernel 2.4.22 with Backstreet Ruby w.o /home + /root scratch testbed

This covers the activity for HDB6.
It is was generated from the rescue + root diskettes.

Hugo M. Van Woerkom, December 9, 2003 (HyperLatex 2.6)