Limit network speed

Hello,

I have a little network at home with 2 window$ workstations and 1 debian
gateway / dns / dhcp server. My network speed is pretty high (both on upload
and download), however I want to limit the upload speed (cause I have a
upload limit). The reason I want this is because when I use BitTorrent it
uses a lot of data traffic, something I don't want (because of the upload
limit)... can anyone tell me how I could do this (obviously when I want to
upload something I want to be able to disable the limitation for a while).

Thank,
Ron

PS. Could you please cc to me as I'm not on the list, thanks.