Re: compiling kernel for another system

John L. Fjellstad wrote:
Magnus von Koeller wrote:

I mean, after all, you can still boot to the old kernel with LinuxOLD,
can't you? Or is your machine that uptime-critical?

No, I'm just worried because I have unplugged everything on it (monitor,
keyboard etc). So the only way I will find out something is wrong is if it
doesn't come up after a couple of minutes (and then I have to spend some
time plugging stuff in etc).

Basically, I'm just trying to understand the reason why I get the missing
symbols... (it would be more reassuring if I understood the why:-)

I'm a little late in the thread, but I think I am having the same
problem.  Last night I compiled a vanilla 2.4.23 kernel on my Sid
workstation to then install it on my Woody server.  Before doing
the compile, I moved my /usr/bin/gcc symlink to point from gcc-3.3
to point to gcc-2.95.  However, when I installed the resulting .deb,
I got unresolved symbols in ass the modules.  dpkg asked if I wanted
to abort, which I did.

I ended up just compiling on the target machine, which took close to
forever (it's a Pentium Pro 200).  Once I did that, I just installed,
rebooted and everything worked great.  BTW, this server is also
headless, which is why I was concoerned.

-Roberto