Re: installed nvidia driver, but permission denied while trying tuxracer

Hello

H. S. (<greatexcalibur@yahoo.com>) wrote:

> Okay, if you look at my earlier posts today, you will
> see a sequence of events that finally took me to a
> successful kernel upgrade and nvidia driver
> installation. But now, when I first started tuxracer,
> I got:
> $> tuxracer
> [...]
>
> NV: could not open control device /dev/nvidiactl
> (Permission denied)
> Error: Could not open /dev/nvidiactl because the
> permissions
> are too resticitive.  Please see the FREQUENTLY ASKED
> QUESTIONS
> section of /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README for
> steps
> to correct.
>
> here is what I had in /dev:
> [...]
> crw-rw----    1 root     video    195, 255 Dec  6
> 03:28 nvidiactl
>

> So I made myself a member of video group(thanks to
> google groups). But I still got a similar error. So, I
> took a deep breadth, and did(thanks to google groups
> again):
> /dev# chmod o+rw nvidia*
>
> to get:
> /dev# ls -l nvidia*
> [...]
> crw-rw-rw-    1 root     video    195, 255 Dec  6
> 03:28 nvidiactl
>
> and now tuxracer is working fine. But my questions is,
> is this the proper way to do it?

I installed the driver using the installer from nvidia.com and the
permissions are crw-rw-rw-, only owner.group is root.root, so I think
it should be okay. By the way, did you log out and in again after
adding yourself to the video group? Otherwise the system won't know
that you added yourself to that group.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--