Re: to let the "shutdown -h now" make the power really go off

On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 09:21:19PM +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> In article <[🔎] 66974CE2-2802-11D8-AA38-00306543A0C6@yahoo.co.jp>,
> micro-people  <mivro_thangs@yahoo.co.jp> wrote:
> >mmm
> >my Debian 3.0 says that it cannot locate it
> >maybe the base(used 20 FDs to install) only system
> >still doesn't have that module installed?
> >
> >then maybe i should struggle making my machine online
> >(to do those apt things)
> >before sticking into this power button aspect?
> >
> >but a bit happy
> >cause this way worked on my
> >GatewaySOLO (slackware installed).....;)
>
> It's a kernel issue. At the end of shutdown, the /etc/init.d/halt
> script is executed which tells the kernel to do a poweroff.
> In your case, the kernel doesn't do that. That means something
> is different between the slackware kernel and the Debian kernel,
> or that the hardware is different.
>
> On most machines you can get this to work by enabling the
> right powersave stuff (APM/ACPI) in the kernel. In some
> cases, loading the "apm" module is enough, if indeed that
> module was compiled for and included with the kernel you
> are running. Otherwise you have to compile and install a
> custom kernel for your machine.
>
> Mike.

Boot parameter
apm=on

may help.

For non-SMP box, Debian kernel usually have apm as modle but I think -bf
kernel has it compiled in.  So you need this, I think.

Its been a lon memory... (Following worked on SMP box too)

  http://www.de.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-install.en.html#s-apm

Osamu