Debian install woes

Hi All,

I'm trying to install Debian on some Dell 1750's and really need some
guidance. As these machines ship with Fusion MPT scsi host adapters
I replaced the kernel on the rescue floppy (none of the rescue kernel images
recognised the MTP adapter) with the latest stable kernel (2.4.22) with MPT
support compiled in. I reach the 'Install Kernel and Driver Modules' stage
and it tells me it can use the CDROM to load the installable packages. I hit
OK, it then tells me it can't load the rescue disk from the floppy. I've
re-inserted the rescue disk after it wanted the ram disk image guessing that
it would need it as the kernel to install.
I use Alt-f2 to get a console up and tailed /var/log/messages, it's
complaining about Mounting /dev/loop0 on /floppy failed: No such device
I ensured the kernel I built had loop device compiled in as per the docs. I
look at the contents of /dev and /dev/loop0 is there as is /floppy.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated enormously.

Thanks,

James Williamson