Re: Debian instalation

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 14:18:22 +0200, Mihai P. B. Stiucan wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am an RedHat user and now I saw that RedHat is no more available as a
> free distribution. So i want to switch to Debian. I found some help on
> the www.debian.org web site, but I still need some advices.
>
> I saw there that they are 3 stages: stable, testing, unstable. For sure
> I choosed stable on my first pick,, got the images and installed it.
> After that, I noticed that all the utilities are old: XFree86, KDE, and
> most of the packages. I really need some new one, not necesarly the
> newest. Ok, ok, i know the new one are on testing, but I will assume the
> risk to use them.
>
> Somebody told me to install woody and then to use apt-get to do some
> upgrades.
>
> In fact I need some advices for install debian but with new packages. I
> don't have a big bandwidth internet access, just 128kb/sec, and I have
> only the woody CDs. What should i do? Just install woody and then
> upgrade using apt-get? How will this apt-get handle the Xfree86 or KDE
> upgrade? There are numerous files to upgrade, is it possible to keep
> track of all of them?
>
> There would be an ideea to install it from scratch , but I'm not so
> experimented to keep track of the files by myself.
>
> I will be very happy if I will succed to do a debian based system with
> XFree86 4.0.1 at least, and KDE 3.1 using Grub boot loader.
>
> I need some advices, really.
>
> Thanks for your time.

I agree with Kent.  I have used Debian and Red Hat and now I much prefer
Debian as the package management IMHO is much better.  I've used stable,
testing, and unstable and I concur that unstable is actually very stable
for a desktop.  I'm using it to send this message with PAN.  Give "Sid" a
try and I think you'll like it.  If you need some instructions to set up
Grub try this link:

	http://myrddin.org/howto/debian-grub.html